Understand your audiences with demographic surveys.
Where do you live? What do you do? And how old are you? How healthy are you? Sorry about the personal questions, but demographic questions can give you a lot of great information about certain populations. Learn more about customers, clients and market segments with demographic surveys, and do more to meet the needs of your target audience. Whether you’re developing products, providing health services, understanding public opinion – or even selling cars – knowing more about the demographic makeup of survey respondents can tell you a lot.
Get a head start with expert-certified templates or create your own custom demographics questionnaire. SurveyMonkey makes it easy to design surveys, collect answers, and analyse results. Get started for free.
Please note that some demographics survey templates are only available in English at this time.
How to Use Demographic Surveys
SurveyMonkey demographic surveys can provide users in industries across the public and private sectors with relevant information about any target audience. They can also help you segment audiences with different needs based on income, gender, location and other factors. Here are a few areas where demographic research can make a big difference:
- Market research. Demographic and psychographic data can help you shape product and service offerings, determine promotions and pricing and sort customer groups based on needs and interests. Young, single men and women tend to have different interests and more disposable income than married men and women with young families, for example. If yours is a brick-and-mortar establishment, it’s particularly good to get to know your neighbours. If you run your business online, then other demographics will be more important, such as occupation, educational background and language proficiency.
- Academic research. As you build research projects focused on specific populations, use demographic surveys to confirm that you’ve correctly identified your target audiences. If you need help reaching a certain demographic, SurveyMonkey Audience can help you get the right respondents for your research. Incorporate demographic and psychographic survey questions into your broader research, establishing “control” populations and baseline data. Use relevant demographic data in research proposals and grant applications as well.
- Health care. Do your patients belong to an ethnic group that has common health issues? Which socio-economic factors might impact your patients’ health and well-being? Use demographic questionnaires and health surveys to understand who you are treating in the context of a broader community or environment.
- Education. Discover the makeup of your school community with demographic questions about gender, income, race, relationship to student and more. Gain an understanding about the educational needs across your school district and ensure that school programmes and funding support all of your students.
- Community and faith-based institutions. Use demographic surveys to better understand how your community works. Is one part of your community older, with many elderly people who may need more ambulance or in-home services? Where do most of your younger families with primary school-aged children live and do they have safe cycle paths and nearby public parks? Is your place of worship meeting the needs of the community that surrounds you? Understand their ethical attitudes versus common norms. Use demographic surveys with anonymised responses for specific neighbourhood insights.
- Non-profit programmes. Get to know the people who can benefit from your non-profit programme the most. Demographics information can help you provide relief for people in areas affected by natural disasters, distribute resources to the underserved or run programmes for families with serious health conditions. Many non-profit programs address the needs of specific demographic populations. Do you understand yours? Is it changing? Ageing? Moving? Use demographic surveys from time to time to ensure that your programmes reflect the evolving needs of those you serve.
Sample Demographic Survey Templates
Use surveys as a tool for learning more about your customers, clients, employees or citizens. Start with our survey templates or create your own. Professional survey methodologists write all of our templates, so you can use them as is. You can also customise templates to suit your needs or create your own using the certified questions available in our Question Bank.
Here are a few expert-designed demographic survey templates:
- U.S. Demographics, Snapshot Template. This six-question template asks respondents about gender, age, education, employment, household income and race.
- U.S. Demographics, Full Template. In addition to the six questions posed in the Snapshot Template, this 12-question template asks about geographical location, housing, marital status, ethnicity, business or farm ownership and personal income.
- Employment Template. With two quick questions, learn about respondents’ employment status, the type of work they do and the industry they work in.
- Education Demographics Template. Discover the makeup of your academic community with 16 basic demographic questions about gender, income, race, relationship to student and more.
- Firmographics Template. Learn more about your B2B customers or clients with this 10-question survey that asks when the company was founded, where it’s headquartered, the number of employees and locations and the job and title of the individual who’s responding.
- Target Market Demographics Template and Typical Customer Demographics Template. These B2B, nine-question survey templates help your business customers understand their end customers. Demographic questions include age, gender, education level, employment status, annual household income, marital and family status, housing, business and farm ownership.
- We offer many other demographic survey templates, including Commuting, Household Budget, General Internet Usage, Language Proficiency, Mobile Phone Use, U.S. Military Service and more, to help you gain more insights about your target audiences.
How to distribute demographic surveys
Online surveys are a great way to reach a broad audience. You can post demographic questionnaires to your website, send them via email or ask for responses via Facebook and other social media channels.
Reach those who may not be online by using SurveyMonkey to create automated phone surveys. With phone surveys, a recorded voice asks respondents questions and they answer them using their phone keypads. Combine a friendly voice and any one of our survey templates with automated phone surveying and you’ve got a powerful, accessible way to engage all of your community.
4 Quick Tips to Improve Survey Response Rates
We provide guides about how to write good survey questions, as well as how to create and conduct surveys. Check them out! And in the meantime, try these tips to encourage respondents to complete your surveys.
- Make responses anonymous. Many people are sensitive about offering demographic information that they consider private, such as income level, employment status and race or ethnicity. If you’re surveying for broad demographic patterns or trends, consider making responses anonymous – and ensure that you let your respondents know that this is the case.
- Explain the purpose of your survey. Explain the purpose of your survey in a brief introduction. Tell your respondents how you’ll use the information. For example: “We want to know more about our customers and what they want. This information will help us put together the right mix of products and services to ensure your delight and satisfaction!”
- Make your survey as accessible as possible. Reach as many people as possible. All of our standard survey designs are accessible (by U.S. Section 508 standards), and you can deliver them online in a variety of ways or by phone.
- Be brief. Shorter surveys are easier for respondents to complete. Make sure that you indicate how long yours will take.
Are You Looking for More Survey Templates and Survey Questions?
- Business Survey Templates
- Customer Satisfaction Survey Questions
- Customer satisfaction survey templates
- Employee Satisfaction Survey Templates
- Event Planning Survey Templates
- Free Survey Templates
- HR Survey and Training Survey Templates
- Marketing survey templates
- Market Research Survey Templates
- Net Promoter Score
- Non-Profit Survey Templates
- Survey Question Types
- Education Survey Templates
Why Do 20+ Million People Use SurveyMonkey?
Send an unlimited number of surveys and polls with our FREE plan.
- Easy to Use
Create and monitor your survey directly over the Internet – we’ve made it easy to get started, learn and use.
- Intuitive Design
There’s no need to be a programmer or engineer – if you can check email or use Facebook, then you can use SurveyMonkey.
- Real-Time Results
You can view your data as it comes in, keeping it to yourself or allowing others to see it.
- Trustworthy and Experienced
SurveyMonkey has helped over 20 million satisfied customers gather information online.
- Expands with Your Needs
SurveyMonkey PRO plans enhance your ability to gather and interpret information with advanced analytics and more.