Add Depth to Your Academic Research With Better Data
Put your theories to the test. Sound survey data makes your research conclusions stronger and more compelling, providing direct evidence to support or refute your claims.
Academics can use surveys to test hypotheses about attitudes and behaviours in a range of domains: business, politics, health and more. Do you have a new programme of research? Then pretest your intuitions with open-ended questions first and obtain rich qualitative data. For longitudinal research, repeated survey measures can help you establish a baseline and track changes over time.
Moreover, the online medium allows you to survey people wherever they are in the country (or the world), instead of having to bring them in. It also eliminates the hassle of entering data from a pencil and paper survey, saving you time and money. When you use SurveyMonkey your data downloads directly to Excel or SPSS.
How to Use Surveys in Academic Research
- Pretesting. If you are going to launch a large-scale or costly project, ensure that you have ironed all the kinks out of your survey first, before you take the plunge. Testing your methodology with an online survey and a convenience sample first can help you pick up on any errors or confusion early on, saving you time and money.
- Sample smarter. Before you test your hypothesis, hone your method for outreach to your target population. What’s the best way to reach them? Via mail or email? Are they regular Internet users? Do they use smartphones? Are they on social networks? With this information, you can obtain your sample quicker, cheaper and easier.
- Longitudinal studies. Want to research the long-term impact of public health awareness programs, economic policy, energy practices, and more on specific groups of people? Use surveying to obtain baseline data and regular updates.
- Field training and development. Use surveys to obtain feedback and assessments at places where you intern or train to gain a valuable insight into the “way you come across” in the professional world. Use the feedback you receive about your work placement, internship, graduate student research, lab work or student teaching to guide your continued skills development.
Sample Academic Research Survey Templates
Here are some ways in which you can use surveys to support specific areas of study and academic research.
- Healthcare and Medical Research
Explore patient demographics, behaviours, access to healthcare, gender health issues, community outreach programmes and more. SurveyMonkey has an extensive selection of Healthcare questionnaire and Medical Research survey templates for you to drag and drop into your survey, including the PHQ-9, the standard means of evaluating depressive tendencies.
- Healthy Lifestyles and Behavioural Studies
Use health and lifestyle surveys to gather information from research subjects about health and lifestyle habits.
- Child Development and Education Studies
Use templates from SurveyMonkey’s collection of Education, School, and Academic Online survey templates for research projects on family and school relationships, educational outcomes, school climate, online learning programs, student satisfaction, and more.
- Psychology and Political Science
Correlate attitudes and approaches of specific population groups with perspectives on a range of experiences and issues – from social networking to media consumption, political views to social identity and more.
- Demographic data.
Use SurveyMonkey Audience for help in reaching the target audiences for your research, and build relevant, real-world data into your research proposals or business plans. SurveyMonkey has a ready-to-use template of demographics verified by our staff methodologists that you can add to any survey to make sure you know who you’re looking at.
Are you looking for more survey types and survey examples?
Use our complete toolkit – including our Survey Design Services or certified questions via the Question Bank or SurveyMonkey Audience offerings – to build and deliver the survey you need to your target audiences.
- Business Surveys
- Certified Survey Questions
- Consumer Surveys
- Customer Loyalty Surveys
- Customer Satisfaction Surveys
- Employee Surveys
- Employee Satisfaction Surveys
- Event Planning Surveys
- HR Survey and Training Survey
- Job Satisfaction Survey
- Marketing Surveys
- Market Research Surveys
- Measurement and Testing
- Medical Research Surveys
- Non-Profit Surveys
- Online Polls
- Online Questionnaires
- Product Feedback Surveys
- Fun Surveys
Why Do 20+ Million People Use SurveyMonkey?
Send an unlimited number of surveys and polls with our FREE plan.
- Easy to Use
Create and monitor your survey directly over the Internet – we’ve made it easy to get started, learn and use.
- Intuitive Design
There’s no need to be a programmer or engineer – if you can check email or use Facebook, then you can use SurveyMonkey.
- Real-Time Results
You can view your data as it comes in, keeping it to yourself or allowing others to see it.
- Trustworthy and Experienced
SurveyMonkey has helped over 20 million satisfied customers gather information online.
- Expands with Your Needs
SurveyMonkey PRO plans enhance your ability to gather and interpret information with advanced analytics and more.