Likert Do-It-Yourself Research Surveys
Get great data using SurveyMonkey for DIY research.
We make it easy to roll up your sleeves and create DIY research surveys online. To obtain actionable and reliable data, we help you with methodologically-sound question types and expert-certified survey templates. Then we give you loads of ways to send surveys and track responses as well as cutting-edge tools for analysing the results.
Getting started on your next research project is quick, easy and FREE.
We can also send your surveys to targeted groups who fit your specifications with SurveyMonkey Audience. We offer telephone polling capabilities and professional survey programming if you find you’re too busy to do it all yourself.
Why use online surveys for research?
Surveys can be a great research tool – but your data is only as good as the science of the survey. SurveyMonkey offers an extensive collection of templates and survey types you can use as the basis of your research surveys. And all of our survey template questions, including each certified question in our Question Bank, are written by professional survey methodologists.
Check out these and other survey templates for your research projects. (Please note that some of these surveys are available in English only at this time.)
- Demographics research. Use a series of surveys, including long and short demographics surveys, to understand the background of your research respondents. Use templates such as Education Demographics, Military Service and Government Support for more detailed demographic data.
- Market Research. What’s the appetite like for the new product or service you’re introducing? Use our 20-question Market Research survey to explore respondents’ opinions, their preference for your offerings over the competition’s and their willingness to recommend.
- User experience research and design. As part of your research, explore the quality of targeted users’ experiences on websites. Survey visitors to find out how they respond to a site and whether they were able to find the information they needed. Poll target audiences to determine individuals’ use of smartphones and applications to plan your mobile strategy. Use survey feedback to design engaging user experiences online and on mobile devices.
- Research for non-profits. A cost-effective way to gather insights, online surveys and questionnaires can help non-profit organisations identify donors’ reasons for contributing and help you plan activities that will drive engagement and investment.
- Academic research. Deliver surveys as a research tool to test your classroom or lecture theatre theories. Use surveys for pilots and pre-tests, longitudinal studies as well as field training and testing.
- Health and human services research. Explore patient demographics, behaviours, access to healthcare, gender health issues and community outreach programmes. Use healthcare, medical research and health and nutrition surveys to explore ways to improve patient and community wellness and healthcare services.
- Research in child development and education. Use surveys from SurveyMonkey’s collection of Education, School and Academic Online survey templates for research projects on family and school relationships, educational outcomes, school climate, online learning programmes and student satisfaction. Leverage templates such as the Harvard Graduate School of Education Pre K-12 Parent survey for parents’ detailed feedback on their children’s educational experience.
Reach the right respondents
Need more data? SurveyMonkey Audience offers DIY and supported approaches to help you reach the right audience and a statistically valid sample size for your research. Design your survey, click to send and then select “Buy a Targeted Audience” to choose the respondents and audience size you want.
How to deliver your research surveys
- Online. Create your online survey in minutes, generating a link you can send in an email via SurveyMonkey or post on your website.
- On Mobile Devices. With surveys optimised for use on mobile devices including iPhones, iPads, Kindle Nook readers and Android devices, SurveyMonkey makes it easy for you to go mobile when you do your research.
- On Social Media Platforms. Interested in conducting research with groups on social or professional networks? Embed your survey link on a Facebook page or tweet it to recipients.
- By Telephone. Combine a human voice and any one of our great survey templates with our Precision Polling automated phone surveying, and you’ve got a powerful, accessible way to engage survey respondents.
DIY research best practices
We’ve helped millions of people get their research done. If you need a little more help, check out our guides on how to create and conduct surveys. Here are are some ideas for encouraging respondents to complete your surveys:
- Introduce your objective. Provide context with a brief sentence. Tell survey takers why you’re asking these questions and how their feedback will help. For example, say “Your feedback will help us understand how which services are most important to you.”
- Use human language. Be as clear with language as possible, to ensure that your respondents understand your questions.
- Use simple question types. For example, use Likert or multiple choice questions instead of larger, hard-to-scale matrix question types.
Why Do 20+ Million People Use SurveyMonkey?
Send an unlimited number of surveys and polls with our FREE plan.
- Easy to Use
Create and monitor your survey directly over the Internet – we’ve made it easy to get started, learn and use.
- Intuitive Design
There’s no need to be a programmer or engineer – if you can check email or use Facebook, then you can use SurveyMonkey.
- Real-Time Results
You can view your data as it comes in, keeping it to yourself or allowing others to see it.
- Trustworthy and Experienced
SurveyMonkey has helped over 20 million satisfied customers gather information online.
- Expands with Your Needs
SurveyMonkey PRO plans enhance your ability to gather and interpret information with advanced analytics and more.