Surveys for Government and Public Agencies
Support Civic Engagement with Surveys
Today’s governments must be flexible and responsive in order to meet the challenges of an increasingly complex socio-economic-political world. Issues of economic competitiveness, improved quality of life and work as well as environmental stewardship drive ongoing investments in education, research and infrastructure. In many countries from the nation’s capital to the local township, each governmental body must work with its citizens to prioritise and invest in the programmes that will contribute to the greater good.
Questionnaires can provide government agencies with a means of connecting with citizens to receive the input and feedback they need to make investment decisions. Political surveys can inform elected leadership about shifts in public opinion on major issues and motivate correct actions. Well-promoted, thoughtfully designed surveys, delivered with plenty of time to gather input, can help governments better understand and represent the immediate and long-term interests of their citizens.
How to Use Surveys for Government
Create, promote and deliver surveys to provide a channel for citizens to provide their ideas about government-sponsored programmes and investments. Use feedback to support the health of your immediate and wider community. Our surveys are compliant with web accessibility standards meeting all U.S. standards for respondents with disabilities.
- Public opinion and feedback. Design and deliver surveys to gather public opinion and feedback on any topic – including bond measures to fund infrastructure investments; traffic and housing issues; community development plans; and public health, welfare and education. Improve survey response rates by delivering surveys on mobile devices – conveniently located at government offices, libraries or civic centres.
- Communication and engagement. What’s the best way to reach the public with regular news and updates? How do you get the word out about town hall meeting schedules and other public forums? Poll your citizens to find out which communications channels work best – whether that means newspapers, signage, online kiosks, email, post, voicemail, SMS, social media or other.
- Program budgeting. Raise the level of community awareness and engagement on budget prioritization and decision-making. Design, deliver, and promote surveys that inform citizens of current issues and budget status and provide them with opportunities to prioritize civic investments. Use this information as a starting point for a series of budget planning town hall meetings.
- Public awareness and education. Use surveys to reach the public with timely information about any issue of relevance – including new information on health, safety, policy, services and more. Present this information in the form of quizzes or polls to create an engaging way to deliver new information.
Sample Surveys for Government (some content available only in English)
Explore a sampling of surveys from our list of templates for use by your government agency. Or build your own surveys using our Question Bank of methodologist-certified questions.
- General Internet Usage. Are your citizens on the Internet? How often? Which devices do they use to connect and where? For which purposes do they typically use the Internet – personal or business? Is this a good way to communicate with them?
- Environmental Issues. As extreme weather regularly makes front-page news, concern about environmental issues has become a prime concern for many. Survey your community to find out their thoughts about environmental issues and to open a channel for ideas about how to resolve them collectively.
- Registered to Vote? Find out whether your citizens are registered to vote and use this data to organise convenient neighbourhood-based voter registration days.
- Demographics. Use a series of surveys to determine the demographics of the citizens that your government represents, including long and short demographics surveys, Education Demographics, Military Service and Government Support surveys. Use respondents’ feedback to identify the demographics of your citizens and to better understand which programmes and investments will best serve them over both the short- and long-term.
- General Event Feedback. Did your agency recently host a civic fundraiser? Was it successful – and would the community enjoy more events like it? Obtain attendee feedback on fundraisers or modify this survey for other civic events, including voter registration days or town hall meetings.
- Website Feedback. Your agency, like many other organisations in the public sector, may be leveraging the cloud to deliver services and information online. As part of your evaluation of service delivery, include pop-up surveys to obtain feedback on your website at the point of access. Does the site work well? Are people finding the information they came for? Use this data to make your site and services as efficient as possible.
3 quick tips to improve survey response rates
Read how to create and conduct surveys before you start in order to get the best results. Here are some ideas for encouraging respondents to complete your surveys.
- Be brief. If your survey is short, there’s a greater chance that more respondents will complete it.
- Use simple language. While your country or locality may have a specific first language, it may not be the native tongue of all your citizens. Use simple, clear language, to make your survey as accessible as possible to as many as possible.
- Use the best question type. We support many different question types, so make sure you use the question type that will generate the feedback you need.
Why Do 20+ Million People Use SurveyMonkey?
Send an unlimited number of surveys and polls with our FREE plan.
- Easy to Use
Create and monitor your survey directly over the Internet – we’ve made it easy to get started, learn and use.
- Intuitive Design
There’s no need to be a programmer or engineer – if you can check email or use Facebook, then you can use SurveyMonkey.
- Real-Time Results
You can view your data as it comes in, keeping it to yourself or allowing others to see it.
- Trustworthy and Experienced
SurveyMonkey has helped over 20 million satisfied customers gather information online.
- Expands with Your Needs
SurveyMonkey PRO plans enhance your ability to gather and interpret information with advanced analytics and more.