Please note that the survey is now closed.

Many thanks to all of you who kindly contributed your experiences through the survey. We know that this is a difficult time for everyone, but particularly those without families to rely on. We’re very grateful for your feedback to our survey, which has helped us to better understand the challenges facing care leavers and estranged students at university, resulting from the coronavirus pandemic. We will share what we’ve learnt with you and with key organisations who can help us to improve the support you and others receive, such as the Office for Students, Universities UK and the Department for Education.
Where can I go for advice and support?
We know that many of you are worried about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on your health and wellbeing, your finances, your education and other areas of your life. At a time of such uncertainty, it’s understandable to feel anxious; many of us are feeling like this too. You may find that you need extra support to cope with how you’re feeling at the moment. We want you to know that there is advice and support out there, and you don’t have to go through this alone. 
We’ve collated a list of reliable and trustworthy organisations and resources that you might find helpful. Please take a look at our list and reach out to organisations if you’d like some advice and support. 
Organisations that support care leavers 
Become is the national charity for children in care and young care leavers in England. Our coronavirus advice page for care-experienced young people can be found at If you’ve got questions about the impact of coronavirus on the care you’re receiving, want some personal advice, or just need someone to talk to, you can get in touch with us on 0800 023 2033 or at

If you're care-experienced and based in Scotland, you can contact Who Cares? Scotland:

If you're care-experienced and based in Wales, you can contact Voices From Care Cymru: 

If you're care-experienced and based in Northern Ireland, you can contact VOYPIC: 
Organisations that support estranged students 
Stand Alone is here to support adults that are estranged from their family or key family member:

Higher education support 
If you're a care-experienced or estranged student, you can contact your college or university for advice and support, especially if you're living alone or in university accommodation.

If you don't know who to get in touch with, the named contacts for care-experienced students can be found on the Propel website (run by Become) at

For estranged students, named contacts can be found at at

The National Network for the Education of Care Leavers (NNECL) works with Colleges and Universities in the UK to ensure that access and support to University and College for care experienced people is exemplary and consistent. NNECL can work with you and your institution if you are not happy with the support they offer. Please contact Arron at

If you're a care-experienced or estranged student, you can contact your college or university for advice and support, especially if you're living alone or in university accommodation. If you don't know who to get in touch with, the named contacts for care-experienced students can be found at and for estranged students at 

Mental health and wellbeing

ChildLine – Provide advice and emotional support for children and young people under the age of 19. Call 0800 1111 or chat online.  

Young Minds – Provide information and support on mental health for children and young people. Young Minds run a free, 24-hour messenger service for young person experiencing a mental health crisis. For urgent help, contact the Young Minds Crisis Messenger by texting YM to 85258. 

The Mix – A support service for young people up to the age of 25. The Mix offers advice and support on a range of issues, from mental health to money, homelessness to finding a job, break-ups to drugs. Call 0808 808 4994 or chat online at The Mix also run a telephone counselling service, offering short term help with mental health and emotional wellbeing. To self-refer for telephone counselling, please complete the form here:

Kooth – Provide online counselling and emotional support for children and young people aged 11-25. 

Samaritans – People of all ages can call the Samaritans on 116 123, 24 hours a day to talk about anything that’s worrying them. 

Shout – A 24/7 UK crisis text service available for times when people feel they need immediate support. Text ‘shout’ to 85258. 

Mind – Provide information on mental health issues, advocacy, medication and treatments. The Infoline also provides details of local help and support services. Call 0300 123 3393 or text: 86463.  

Hopeline UK – A specialist telephone service offering support, practical advice and information to children, teenagers and young people up to the age of 35, who are worried about how they’re feeling. Call 0800 068 4141 or text: 07786 209697. 

Breethe – Mediation app. Children in care and care leavers can get a free annual subscription by emailing 

Youth Access – Find local counselling, advice and information services at
Money and finances
Universal Credit and students: 

Universal Credit and coronavirus: 

Turn 2 us – Information and advice about money and benefits, including coronavirus and benefits:

National Debt Line – Money and debt advice, including coronavirus advice and support. Call 0808 808 4000 or chat online:
Housing and homelessness 
Shelter – Advice on housing and homelessness. Call 0808 800 4444 or chat online. See here for up to date information about housing and coronavirus: 

Centre Point – Housing advice for young people aged 16-25 in England. Call 0808 800 0661. 

Crisis – Advice and support for homeless people. 

Coronavirus: What are my tenancy rights? An expert guide: 
NHS coronavirus advice: 

COVID-19: guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection: 

COVID-19: guidance for employees: 

Covid-19 Mutual Aid UK – Find your local community support group: