Informing the Development of a Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) Strategy - Public Survey
Sunderland City Council are in the process of developing a Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) strategy.
The term ‘Violence Against Women and Girls’ (VAWG) refers to acts of abuse or violence that most commonly affect women and girls. However, the term is also used to describe abuse against all genders. Crimes and behaviour covered by the term include;
· Domestic violence and abuse
· Coercive and controlling behaviour
· Sexual violence, abuse and exploitation including rape and forced prostitution
· Sexual harassment and bullying e.g. unwanted sexual touching, upskirting, disclosing / threatening to disclose private sexual photographs and films
· Crimes committed in the name of ‘honour’ – honour-based violence
· Harmful practices including forced marriage and female genital mutilation
· Modern slavery and human trafficking
· Gendered gang violence.
To support the development of the strategy, Sunderland City Council want to understand the thoughts and opinions of members of the public, as well as survivors of domestic abuse, staff working within specialist domestic abuse services and other organisations.
This survey is open to anyone over the age of 18 and is available to be completed until 1st July 2022. It should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete. All feedback will be treated in strictest confidence and we do not require any personal information that will identify you.
There are three sections to the survey;
- Section 1 and 3 is about understanding your thoughts about Violence Against Women and Girls and what needs to be done to tackle this
- Section 2 is an optional section for anyone who has experienced a crime associated with Violence Against Women and Girls.
We recognise that this is a very sensitive topic and are committed to carrying out this engagement activity in a compassionate manner. If you have been affected by any of the issues within this survey and want to talk with someone about your experiences, there are a range of services who can provide you with information, advice, help and support. Below is a link to these services to help you make choices that are right for you.
If you have any questions regarding this survey or want to access the survey in a different format or language, please email VAWG.Insight@sunderland.gov.uk