Views sought on proposal to increase capital threshold on charges for care services

Changes to the £16,000 threshold, at which people start to pay full cost of care in Aberdeenshire is being proposed, following feedback from families and service users that this is too low.

Aberdeenshire Health and Social Care Partnership is now seeking views from service users and their families on a proposal to raise the threshold from £16,000 to £26,250.

Officers visited very sheltered housing schemes and day centres to advise service users how recent changes to care charges will affect them. Feedback about the threshold came from these discussions.

Previously there was a cap of 35% on the maximum contribution people were expected to pay towards non-residential care regardless of their financial circumstances, leaving Aberdeenshire Council to cover the remaining 65% of costs from within its budget. 

Following approval from Aberdeenshire Council's Social Work and Housing Committee last December this cap was removed, meaning people who can afford to pay more will be expected to make a more significant contribution.

Although there was no change in care costs for the majority of people, some tenants at Very Sheltered Housing or who attend day services have also seen their costs increase.

The Social Work and Housing Committee will consider this at their September meeting (1/9/16); the paper will include the views of Aberdeenshire Health and Social Care Partnership’s Integrated Joint Board (IJB).

The Social Work and Housing committee has to make the formal decision as charging policy  was not devolved to IJBs in the legislation.

Officers will be visiting very sheltered housing complexes and a number of day services during July to hear directly from service users and their families. We will provide information on the times of these visits in the local facilities. 

People can also let us know their views by completing this short survey by Monday 1st August

Question Title

* 1. Which of these best decribes your interest in this survey

Question Title

* 2. Which service do you (or your family member) receive?

Question Title

* 3. Do you support the proposal to increase threshold from £16,000 to £26,250

Question Title

* 4. If you have any comments please leave them in box below

T