Quercus are excited to invite libraries across the UK to be part of A Year of Adventurous Reading, a year-long celebration of literature in translation to mark the 10th anniversary of Maclehose Press, Quercus' prestigious and prize-winning imprint for literature in translation.
The promotion will include ten books and will run from February – November 2018. We will be choosing libraries to participate throughout the year.
February Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes (Germany)
March Atlas of Impossible Longing by Anuradha Roy (India)
April The President's Garden by Muhsin Al-Ramli (Iraq)
May The Life of Rebecca Jones by Angharad Price (Wales)
June A Naked Singularity by Sergio De La Pava (USA)
July An Englishman In Madrid by Eduardo Mendoza (Spain)
August Mend the Living by Maylis de Kerangal (France)
September The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker (USA)
October The Sixteen Trees of the Somme by Lars Mytting (Norway)
November The Bickford Fuse by Andrey Kurkov (Russia)
Selected libraries will receive:
· Posters x 6 (3 title-specific, 3 generic)
· Postcards x 100
· Bookmarks x 400
· Title specific reader booklet x 200 (Including a piece from the author, publisher and translator talking about the book along with reading group questions and suggested further reading.)
· Digital assets – Website and newsletter banners and social cards, digital reader booklet
· 200 copies of the book
· 200 reader postcards
What libraries need to commit to in return:
· Creation of prominent displays
· Engaging readers creatively in A Year of Adventurous Reading, as well as encouraging them to pick up a copy of their ‘champion’ title and complete postcards to be pinned to displays then gathered and sent back at the end of their feature month
· Sending back photos of the displays and any activity in libraries, in particular key snaps of reviews left by readers.
· Engaging online through social media by tweeting pictures, reader reviews and the general challenge
· Making full use of the point-of-sale made available
· Filling in an evaluation form at the end of the feature month
· All readers who complete a postcard and send back to Quercus will be automatically entered into a prize draw to win £200 worth of travel vouchers and a full set of A Year of Adventurous Reading titles.