Illuminating the Soane: Consultation
In October 2023 the Museum will mount an exhibition of historic works on paper focusing on the spectacular illuminations which were popular in the Georgian period. It will concentrate on the light shows themselves and the impressive and elaborate temporary architectural structures created for them, often by leading architects and artists including Soane himself.
To complement the Georgian Illuminations exhibition the Museum plans to commission a contemporary equivalent of the entertainments explored in the exhibition.
This temporary installation, by highly experienced artist Nayan Kukarni, will illuminate the façade of the Museum for a period of around four months from October 2023 to January 2024. The effects produced will be based on Soane’s use of changing light effects within the Museum.
The installation will be
- Temporary, with no lasting impact on the Museum, its surroundings or Lincoln’s Inn Fields
- Informed by and sympathetic to the sensitive historic environment of the Museum and Lincoln’s Inn Fields
- Safe for the public
- Controlled remotely
- Planned with sustainability in mind in terms of power use
- Planned to minimise light pollution
- Subject to relevant planning permission