Founded in 1999 and based in San Mateo, California, SurveyMonkey is the world’s leading platform for turning people’s voices and opinions into actionable data — People Powered Data. Whether it’s with customers, employees, or a target market, SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals and companies — including 99% of the Fortune 500 — have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. It’s People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only “what” is happening, but “why.” SurveyMonkey’s 700+ employees throughout North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
Join our Database team to design, deploy, and maintain the next generation of scalable & high performance systems. You will be responsible for all aspects of our database clusters including the performance, scalability, high-availability, and capacity planning of the key components of the SurveyMonkey data infrastructure.This is a hands-on role with a lot of exploration opportunity and room learn.
Our database infrastructure powers the “Data” in “People Powered Data” here at SurveyMonkey. It’s mission critical for our customers, and our database infrastructure team keeps things running smoothly. In this role, you will be part of our database infrastructure team responsible for managing, automating, scaling, and optimizing our database infrastructure.
- Maintain, configure, tune, and monitor our database infrastructure (primarily Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Enterprise).
- Understand and troubleshoot issues across the stack (hardware, software, and network)
- Work with Software Engineering Teams to implement solutions in support of product development; Write Stored Procedures, Scripts, etc. as needed.
- Help with performance tuning and troubleshooting
- Help design and build automation & tooling around all facets of software development lifecycle; provisioning, version control, builds, continuous integration, deployment, etc.
- Work closely with other data infrastructure engineers to innovate and propose new solutions to support business as SurveyMonkey grows and addresses future market needs.
- Participate in the on-call rotation as needed
- Partner with engineering teams to improve data infrastructure usage and to follow best practices.
- Participate in our ongoing migration to AWS
- Help plan our future data strategy by researching emerging technologies and making recommendations to technologies that SurveyMonkey can leverage as we continue to evolve our platform offerings. This will likely include various NoSQL platforms, Reporting and Analytics Platforms, Data Warehousing Platforms, etc.
- Experience managing large enterprise scale Microsoft SQL Server database implementations (Clustering, Vertical and Horizontal Partitioning, High Availability Groups, etc.)
- Experience with Windows and/or Unix systems administration
- Strong T-SQL skills (both administration and querying application data)
- You have experience writing Python, Powershell or other scripting languages
- You have experience with configuration management systems (Ansible is a plus)
- Excellent communication skills and a proven record of partnering with other engineers
- Experience working with virtualized environments.
- Experience in cloud based environments such as AWS or Azure.
- Experience with repeatable automation (both at the OS and database level)
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer.